Bidhaa Sasa is a women-focused start-up that uniquely combines financing and last-mile distribution of modern household goods in a one-stop shop for the rural areas. We make technology goods, such as solar systems or efficient cookstoves, both accessible and affordable by offering consumer financing to the under-served and unbanked. We deliver life improving products to our clients’ doorsteps while making all products payable in affordable instalments and with mobile money. We sell our products through groups that are recruited and managed by women leaders in the rural heartlands of Kenya. Since our humble beginnings in 2015, we have reached 50,000 clients and are expanding our reach further with new locations in Kenya and soon in Uganda.
We are looking for a naturally curious person and problem solver to take ownership of all company data and its analysis. In addition, coach and mentor a team of existing analysts hungry to learn and grow their capabilities.
As a company we are completing an IT systems migration, which will centralise commercial and non-commercial data allowing for a deeper analysis. The Senior Data Analyst will report directly to one of the co-founders and will work closely with the rest of the senior management team to extract value from business data using advanced analytical methods and tools.
The hire will derive knowledge and insights from both structured and unstructured data using statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualisation techniques, for example together with the IT admin build business intelligence dashboards for various levels of the organisation. Over time, the hire is expected to grow their skills and move from descriptive and diagnostic to more predictive and prescriptive analysis, using more advanced data mining and machine learning techniques to make business predictions and optimisations, for example stock forecast or route optimisation.
The hire will supervise and further develop capacity of a team of existing business analysts who interface between the different business units and the analysis and reporting of different data sets, from sales to household impact to logistics data.
1. Database integration and capability expansion (approximately 50%).
2. Data analysis and exploration (25%).
3. Team management, collaboration, training and coaching (25%).
• You are a naturally curious person, problem solver, quick learner and someone who enjoys “breaking the mould”;
• You have a minimum of five (5) years' work experience as a data analyst in a business environment or prestigious academic environment; with at least two (2) years of team management experience (outside of an individual contributor role);
• You are certainly a “numbers person” i.e. possess in-depth analytical skills and enjoy exploring data to draw insights AND you enjoy mentoring and growing staff (you will be coaching a team of analysts hungry to grow and excel);
• You hold an advanced university degree/post-graduate qualification in maths, statistics, physics, computer science, big data, economics, engineering or equivalent;
• You have experience in advanced data analysis tools (you’ve definitely outgrown Excel, in which you are more than fully proficient, and use SQL frequently);
• You have working knowledge of programming with Python or R or an equivalent and relevant language;
• Experience with SalesForce and Tableau is an added advantage.
• You believe in the potential of rural communities to improve their family's lives and are eager to ensure everyone has an equal part in Kenya's development. We put the client at the centre of all our decisions and actions.
• You enjoy the thrill of start-up life, where we fail and learn from it, where things change fast, and every day brings new challenges. We are a small team working tirelessly to achieve something that has not been done before!
• You are excited about working in a multicultural environment, where we have open communication channels, are transparent about challenges and mistakes, learn from each other and respect and leverage our diversity to make the business work.
• You want your ideas to be heard and participate in business strategy: Our team is collaborative and supportive. We listen to insights from the field, because we know that otherwise we can't succeed.
• Monthly remuneration dependent on experience
• This is a full time position based in Nairobi, Kenya. We're looking for a minimum commitment for 2 years.
• Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Bidhaa Sasa does not charge any fees for recruitment.