Bidhaa Sasa is a women-focused start-up that uniquely combines financing and last-mile distribution of modern household goods in a one-stop shop for the rural heartlands of Kenya. We deliver life improving products, like solar systems or efficient cookstoves, to our clients’ doorsteps while making all products both accessible and affordable to the under-served and unbanked through consumer financing. Since 2015, we have reached more than 50,000 clients and are expanding our reach further with new locations in Kenya and Uganda.
Your duties will include, quality check of processes, procedures and controls while working on developing solutions with the person building the processes. Additionally, you should be good in detecting gaps in the way things are done, measure to what extent these gaps affect business operations negatively, report and advise on the corrective measures to be taken. This includes advising the business on policies and best practices as well as standardization of processes to ensure mitigation of risks, efficiency and effectiveness.
This is a mid-level role where the successful hire will report directly to the founders of Bidhaa Sasa and be based in the Nairobi office though with regular travel across our branches. Expect to be in the field, where the action is, around 50% of your time.
This is an opportunity to be part of a growing start-up with big ambitions and a dedicated team but it also means that it’s a rapidly changing environment, requiring you to be responsive and adaptable.
Assist in the development and implementation of a risk management and control strategy, challenging processes and controls , set and monitor performance metrics for compliance standards. The role will focus on the following internal business risks:
• Operational Risks
- Collaborate with the Business Process Manager to review and suggest improvement of operational policies, procedures and controls
- Review of sales and other processes checking for any gaps that may result in losses for business
- Conduct quality checks to ensure that field staff adhere to business processes
- Identify and measure potential risks to the business and advise relevant line managers on the appropriate steps to take
- Identify and measure potential risks to the business and advise relevant line managers on the appropriate steps to take.
- Lead incident investigations by conducting a root cause analysis and to ensure necessary corrective actions are implemented to prevent future cases
- Conduct mystery shopper exercises regularly
• Conduct Risks
- Develop an internal policy relating to fraud prevention and implementation of the same
- Review and interrogate the expenditure of every staff and identifying patterns and trends across different branches
- Check for compliance in cost of operation per region
- Consistently provide guidance on ways to reduce operational costs
- Collaborate with the Business Processes Manager and HR team to educate and train employees on internal policies aimed at mitigating risk
• Regulatory Risks
- Conduct regular audits of the company procedures and practices to identify possible weaknesses or risks
- Conduct periodic review of the business compliance with regulatory requirements, including health and safety requirements
• Credit Risks
- Together with the management team review and improve current policies relating to clients loans, repayment behavior delinquency and right offs
- Conduct quality checks on the strengths and weaknesses of the group liability concept
Our culture - We are the right organization for you if:
You believe in the potential of rural communities to improve their family's lives and are eager to ensure everyone has an equal part in Kenya's development. We put the client at the centre of all our decisions and actions.
You enjoy the thrill of start-up life, where we fail and learn from it, where things change fast, and every day brings new challenges. We are a close-knit team working tirelessly to achieve something that has not been done before!
You are excited about working in a multicultural environment, where we have open communication channels, are transparent about challenges and mistakes, learn from each other and respect and leverage our diversity to make the business work.
You want your ideas to be heard and participate in business strategy: Our team is collaborative and supportive. We listen to insights from our staff and clients, because we know that otherwise we can't succeed.
Who we are looking for:
Do you want to join our team as our new Risk and Compliance Officer? Then we'd love to hear about you!